Damar Hamlin’s Heart Attack

On Monday, January 2nd, 2023,  the Bills were facing off against the Cincinnati Bengals. The Bengals were controlling the game early. But after Damar Hamlin took a big hit, he fell to the ground. He got right back up, and then collapsed to the ground. When the Bills are on the field crying, you know this wasn’t a normal injury.

Both teams were stunned on the field and upset. “The first thing you think, when you see both teams on the field is Damar Hamlin. The second thing you think of is his family.” Said Ryan Clark.

“This isn’t a young football player injured, it’s a human.”

Ambulances went on to the field and this is when you REALLY knew it was getting serious. Stephan Diggs, star wide receiver and the toughest guy you will ever meet started to cry. And so did everyone else on the football field, including Bengles players.  The NFL “postponed” the game as it would later be canceled. 

The last thing on people’s minds was football. Fans left the stadium in sadness, but thousands checked on Damar. At the game, after most people in the stands left, there was a sign that read, “The game has been postponed for the evening, for further information, go to Bengals.com.”

“Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin is still in critical but stable condition after going into cardiac arrest during a game in Cincinnati Monday night. That much we know. As of this writing, we do not know what caused the cardiac event; what his current status is; and whether or how the game will be made up, though the NFL did confirm that the Bills-Bengals game would not be resumed this week. His family released a statement earlier this morning thanking people for their support and said it would release updates once possible. 

There’s a lot to say about Hamlin, but I thought former NFL player and ESPN analyst Ryan Clark put it best:” 

This was by Maya Sweedler, who is a journalist and a huge football fan. 

For as long as I’ve been a football fan, I’ve felt this tension between the violence inherent to the sport and the beauty of its strategy. Sometimes it’s easier to brush aside the qualms associated with the former and focus entirely on the latter; sometimes, even admitting to myself that I find beauty in the game is challenging.

This was arguably the biggest game of the NFL season. Many fans went to this game, setting a record at the Bengals stadium. If the Buffalo Bills won the game they would be the 1 seed in the AFC. If they lost, they would be the 3 seed. However, the game got canceled. But none of this should be about football.  

Damar’s family were at the game live for the first time in a month. But they started crying when they saw the injury. “I was about to run on the field.” Damar’s mom said.  Funny tweets were made the day before this event happened including the Falcons shaming Ohio State University. But after, there were more serious tweets saying, “Amen” or “We wish you luck” to Damar Hamlin, hoping that he is okay, and that he will make it, and he won’t pass away. The last thing that people are thinking about after this event is football, Or it should be. 

Some injuries could scar you for life. Especially one like this. This was the first ever football game being canceled. Or any sports game. When the season gets shorter, you know that’s a bad thing. 

On January 5th, Damar Hamlin woke up. He was able to move his body well. Once he woke up, the first thing Damar Hamlin asked was “Did we win?” That takes the courage of a football player. The doctor said, “You won at the game of life.” The 24 year old survived the heart attack, but he is questionable to make another debut in the NFL. All 32 NFL teams said something like, “Pray for Damar” Or “Amen” or “We wish you good luck!” At 2:37 pm, 6 days after his heart attack, he realized that he was alive.

Damar facetimed the Bills and he was able to breathe on his own.  However, at the end of the year, the Bills suffered defeat to the same team that Demar got injured, the Bengals. 

Football was the last thing on the bill’s minds next week. Against the New England Patriots, The Bills got their first kick return in 3 years, and three months. That’s Damar Hamlan’s number.

After the patriots game, Josh Allen, the quarterback for Buffalo, said, “It hurts to have a teammate injured. But at that moment, me and Stephan (Diggs) started crying. It hurts to see your teammate down on the ground like that, and everybody loves Damar in particular.”

After the game, Matt Malano, (A Bills player) said, “Damar and I got along very well. It was emotional when I saw him on the ground for me. We always joke around, so of course I cried.”

The head coach said four words after the game. “We pray for Damar.”  Most football games are about football. Damar almost died and the doctor said that he’d probably never step on a football field. But he heard this one quote. “You can’t get hurt if you are already dead.” So he plans to return in 2024. 

Damar would eventually play his first game in October of 2023. That’s a seven month recovery. He recovered very fast for a man that almost died. The doctor said he wouldn’t be able to step on a football field ever again. But he forced a fumble on defense in his first game back. What a story. 

GO TO www.ESPN.com right now where I got most of these quotes. Other sources: www.CBSSPORTSNETWORK.COM

Go to www.FoxSports.Com www.updates.com www.bills. www.stxytnhoh.com www.Injured.com www.him.com www.banglesgameupdate.com www.prayfordamar.com www.xtedsgfgfghgd.com www.COMPLETE.com